Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Simple Gifts

There's an old Shaker hymn that states,'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free" that talks about how living simply brings freedom. Well, we've begun (a little too early to call it spring cleaning) clearing our closets of some clutter. I don't know if it'll bring freedom. Right now, it's a disaster as Dan piles up shirt after shirt that doesn't fit, he doesn't like and so therefore doesn't wear. I'm doing the same but I like everything that I have stuffed into my closet! Of course, that doesn't mean it fits or that I wear it so I'm trying to part with some things anyway. But then...what if I lose weight or find the perfect match for that sweater that's been hanging there for years because nothing matches? And how can I get rid of the "I heart NY" t-shirts that hold memories? It really started because we want to ready our spare bedroom for the inevitable company that will accompany a wedding here. That meant moving out a dresser, but to do that, we'd have to clean it out and then, as long as we were doing that, might as well clean the closet too. The idea has a domino effect as the chaos grows. Simplicity and freedom? We'll see.

No comments: